The candidate will work in the assembly areas on all types of fiber optic assemblies and subassemblies used in the production of Reflex products. The position requires meticulous attention to detail and quality in several key assembly areas. Areas of assembly will include fiber optic subassembly, epoxy and glob-top, manual and automatic wire bonding, mechanical assembly, etc. You will also be required to work in a clean room environment with appropriate protective garments.
- Performs a number of very complex repetitive sequences of operations and requires dexterity, a high degree of concentration and some skills for very delicate components.
- Inspection and test of purchased sub-assemblies with report preparation.
- Works using key cards, written procedures, manuals, drawings and other verbal and written instructions.
- Visual inspection of products using microscope to company specifications.
We believe that different perspectives and backgrounds are what make a company flourish. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, economic status, disability, age, or any other legally protected characteristics. We are proud to be an inclusive company with values grounded in equality and ethics, where we celebrate, support, and embrace diversity.
- Candidates must be energetic, proactive and be a team player that can take ownership of their tasks
- Availability to be working on the second shift from 3:00 pm to 11:30 pm
- A high degree of concentration and close visual attention for sustained periods as well as very close attention to details.
- Two (2) years’ experience in an assembly shop
- Six (6) months of previous experience in some variety of operations in microcircuit manufacturing and assembly
- Communicate in English & French (spoken and written)
- Microsoft Office skills (Word/Excel/Outlook)
- Secondary education or better
- Experience in an optical design, assembly or optical test laboratory
- Capable of hand soldering on printed circuits boards. May also perform repairs or modifications of a simple nature such as changing, replacing or adding of components on a PCB assembly.
- Knowledge of micro-electronics Hybrid (chip & wire assembly, ceramics, etc.)
- In-Coming inspection experience (Quality Assurance)
At Smiths we apply leading-edge technology to design, manufacture and deliver market-leading innovative solutions that meet our customers' evolving needs, and touch the lives of millions of people every day. We are a FTSE100, global business of around 23,000 colleagues, based in 55 countries. Our solutions have a real impact on lives across the planet, enabling industry, improving healthcare, enhancing security, advancing connectivity and supporting new homes. Our products and services are often critical to our customers’ operations, while our proprietary technology and high service levels help create competitive advantage. We welcome colleagues with a curious mind, who are happy with responsibility, enjoy a challenge and are attracted by the idea of working at a business with an almost 170 year history of innovation, and five global divisions, all experts in their field.
Smiths Interconnect is a leading provider of technically differentiated electronic components, subsystems, microwave and radio frequency products that ensure high speed, secure connectivity of critical applications in the defence, aerospace, communications and industrial markets. Our microwave technology is used in radar, communication and surveillance systems that are mission-critical and operate in extreme environments in aerospace and defence. Our microwave components and connectors ensure optimal performance, durability and safety of space satellites. Our semi-conductor test products are used to test highly sophisticated semi-conductors and electronic circuits in communication systems, gaming products and computing devices. Our in-flight antenna systems give passengers internet connectivity gate-to-gate on planes around the world. Our connector and cable solutions ensure reliability of critical medical equipment, and safe operation of trains and transport systems.One of five divisions of Smiths Group, Smiths Interconnect employs over 2000 people. We have a global presence selling our products in over 50 countries with manufacturing facilities in nine countries and offices across North America, Europe and Asia.