Application Engineer – Fiber Optics/Optical Transceivers (Kirkland, Quebec or Remote)
***Role can be located onsite in Kirkland, Quebec or remote with preference to the Eastern Standard Time Zone.
The candidate will provide engineering support for our optical transceiver customers, with a focus on the global Space Market. They will support the Sales and PLM Teams and be the main technical interface between customers and Engineering, Production, Quality and other functional areas to ensure a timely and seamless design-in process and production ramp. The AE must possess excellent interpersonal and a positive attitude. Good understanding of optical transceivers is a must, including in-depth experience in trouble shooting hardware and software. They will work with the PLM to monitor and react to the competitive landscape and customer requirements, define product requirements and generate and maintain application support documentation for the products.
- Interface with customers regularly, conduct customer visits as needed to provide technical support
- Support customer design-in of optical transceivers (mechanical, electrical, optical, firmware) including use of evaluation boards
- Track and troubleshoot customer issues in a timely manner
- Support generation and maintenance of sales collateral including datasheets, application notes, and web content
- Provide technical product training and design-win support to the sales team
- Maintain documents and presentations on space qualification including environmental, radiation and optical test plans
- Research customer needs, industry trends and competitors
- Collaborate with PLM and Product Development to define technology & product roadmaps to address new opportunities Provide technical assistance to RFQ process including reviews of customer source control drawings
We believe that different perspectives and backgrounds are what make a company flourish. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, economic status, disability, age, or any other legally protected characteristics. We are proud to be an inclusive company with values grounded in equality and ethics, where we celebrate, support, and embrace diversity.
- 5 years of experience as an applications or systems engineer in space, defense, datacom, or telecom markets
- Strong knowledge of optical transceivers and data transport protocols, experience designing and/or testing optical transceivers is preferred
- Experienced in customer interactions and technical solution presentations, knowledge of key customers in space market preferred
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in related technical discipline
- Experience designing or using high speed digital electronics (up to 25 Gbps)
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Strong hardware and system-level debugging skills
- Embedded software/firmware skills is preferred
- Experience with high-speed digital test equipment
- Effective communicator and business leader that delivers on commitments
- Strategic thinking, self-sufficient team player who enjoys a challenge Excellent listening, verbal, numerical, writing and presentation skills
At Smiths we apply leading-edge technology to design, manufacture and deliver market-leading innovative solutions that meet our customers' evolving needs, and touch the lives of millions of people every day. We are a FTSE100, global business of around 14,600 colleagues, based in 50+ countries. Our solutions have a real impact on lives across the planet, enabling industry, improving healthcare, enhancing security, advancing connectivity and supporting new homes. Our products and services are often critical to our customers’ operations, while our proprietary technology and high service levels help create competitive advantage. We welcome colleagues with a curious mind, who are happy with responsibility, enjoy a challenge and are attracted by the idea of working at a business with a 170+ year history of innovation, and five global divisions, all experts in their field.
Smiths Interconnect is a leading provider of technically differentiated electronic components, subsystems, microwave and radio frequency products that ensure high speed, secure connectivity of critical applications in the defence, aerospace, communications and industrial markets. Our microwave technology is used in radar, communication and surveillance systems that are mission-critical and operate in extreme environments in aerospace and defence. Our microwave components and connectors ensure optimal performance, durability and safety of space satellites. Our semi-conductor test products are used to test highly sophisticated semi-conductors and electronic circuits in communication systems, gaming products and computing devices. Our in-flight antenna systems give passengers internet connectivity gate-to-gate on planes around the world. Our connector and cable solutions ensure reliability of critical medical equipment, and safe operation of trains and transport systems.One of five divisions of Smiths Group, Smiths Interconnect employs over 2000 people. We have a global presence selling our products in over 50 countries with manufacturing facilities in nine countries and offices across North America, Europe and Asia.