Smiths Interconnect is a leading provider of technically differentiated electronic components, subsystems, microwave and radio frequency products that ensure high speed, secure connectivity of critical applications in the defense, aerospace, communications and industrial markets.
Some of our technologies/products and their appliances:
- Microwave technology is used in radar, communication and surveillance systems that are mission-critical and operate in extreme environments in aerospace and defense and components and connectors manufactured by us ensure optimal performance, durability and safety of space satellites.
- Semi-conductor test products are used to test highly sophisticated semi-conductors and electronic circuits in communication systems, gaming products and computing devices.
- In-flight antenna systems give passengers internet connectivity gate-to-gate on planes around the world.
- Connector and cable solutions ensure reliability of critical medical equipment, and safe operation of trains and transport systems.
Smiths Interconnect employs over 2000 people. We have a global presence selling our products in over 50 countries with manufacturing facilities in nine countries and offices across North America, Europe and Asia.
- Lead the design and development of new RF component processes and products utilizing on site R&D Laboratory.
- Help manage establishment of fully functioning R&D laboratory and oversee on site projects.
- Support new product introduction by providing material and process knowledge throughout the development process.
- Manage projects from inception through qualification in accordance with the phase gate processes.
Aid in the transfer of new products and technology to the operations team, through training and implementation.
- Support, contribute to, and promote a safe work environment
- Responsible for R&D of new materials and processes relating to key manufacturing areas including sputtering, electroplating and screen printing.
- Aid the product development team in prototyping using on site R&D laboratory and equipment.
- Use appropriate material characterization equipment relevant to key processes such as and not limited to: XRF, X-Ray, Profilometer, Viscometer and RGA.
- Document process methodology as required and create training materials required for transfer to operations.
- Interface with suppliers to evaluate new materials and equipment as required.
- Participate in the development of product and process technology roadmaps, in support of cross-functional stakeholders
- Coordinate with on-site manufacturing and quality engineers to facilitate initial build and prototyping of products developed by the design team
- Propose enhancements to new and existing product designs to optimize manufacturability
- Ability to perform root cause analyses utilizing established problem-solving tools and methodologies
- Proactively identify project risks and mitigation plans to accelerate the development cycle and ensure delivery commitments are met
- Provide technical support to organizational stakeholders including Manufacturing, Quality, Marketing and Sales
- Participate in and contribute to team training, development, mentoring, on-boarding and audits
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Materials Science with 5 years of relevant work experience.
- Must understand vacuum technology and relevant processes such as sputtering.
- Familiarity with material characterization equipment such as: XRF, X-Ray, Profilometer, Viscometers and RGA.
- Proficiency with CAD including 3D solid modeling. AutoCAD and SolidWorks preferred.
- Familiarity with military and industry standards and other relevant specification
- Ability to analyze complex problems using data-driven approach and define solutions
- Able to clearly communicate and discuss technical concepts in English and Spanish is a plus.
- Knowledge of thin and/or thick film process technology a plus.
- Familiarity with ISO9001 and AS9100
Travel: < 10%
Ability to acquire travel Visas to travel outside of Costa Rica.
- Coordinate with regional project team to ensure milestones are achieved and risks are mitigated
- Set priorities and complete needed deliverables with minimal assistance
- Suggest changes in working conditions and use of equipment, systems, tools and process to increase organizational effectivity
- Analyze and resolve work problems independently and support others in doing the same
- Utilize experience, analytical capacity, problem solving tools, and judgment to plan and accomplish goals
- Design authority for new and existing product configurations
- Collaborates across multiple functions, sites, and regions
- Contributes to achievement of functional goals and objectives
- Self-guided training on global policies & procedures including GP03-001 (Global Design & Development), GP03-002 (NPI Project Management), and all policies, work instructions, and templates referenced therein
- Product and application training as provided by Product Specialists and utilizing product presentations on SharePoint
- Introduction to key stakeholders and their functional roles and responsibilities including Sales, Marketing, Sourcing, Quality, and Manufacturing
- Support site operations through design disposition of component material, approval of first time builds, and initiation / assessment of proposed design enhancements to optimize manufacturability
- Contribute to new product development cycle within cross functional team
- Interface with customers & supply chain as needed
- Train internal and external stakeholders on products and capabilities